Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment (1996)
Archived files are provided for reference purposes only. The file was current when produced, but is no longer maintained and may now be outdated. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing archived files may contact the NCEA Webmaster for assistance. Please visit http://epa.gov/ncea to access current information.
EPA's cancer guidelines set forth recommended principles and procedures to guide EPA scientists in assessing the cancer risks from chemicals or other agents in the environment. They also inform EPA decision makers and the public about these procedures. EPA published final cancer guidelines in 1986. As with other risk assessment guidelines, EPA has been working to revise the cancer guidelines to reflect advances in scientific understanding as well as experience in using them. Listed below are EPA's initial cancer guidelines and draft revisions.
- 2003 Draft Final Guidelines: As announced in the Federal Register on March 3, 2003, the Draft Final Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment are being made available for public comment.
- 2003 Draft Supplemental Guidance: As announced in the Federal Register on March 3, 2003, the draft Supplemental Guidance for Assessing Cancer Susceptibility from Early-Life Exposure to Carcinogens is being made available for public comment. This document is intended to augment the cancer guidelines by focusing on cancer risks resulting from exposure during childhood.
- 1999 draft Revised Guidelines: As announced in the Federal Register on November 29, 2001, the July 1999 draft Revised Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment served as EPA's interim guidance to EPA risk assessors preparing cancer risk assessments prior to issuance of final guidelines on March 29, 2005.
Initial Cancer Guidelines:
- 1986 Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment In 1986, EPA published a set of risk assessment guidelines, including Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment (Federal Register 51 (185) 33992-34003, 24 September 1986).
- Proposed Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment: As part of the revisions process, the Agency published Proposed Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment in 1996 (61 FR 17960, Apr. 23, 1996). Subsequent Science Advisory Board and public comments led to development of the 1999 draft revisions (see above).