AFO Virtual Information Center
Other Federal Programs
- Air Pollution From Swine Production Facilities Differing In Waste Management Practice (PDF) - A study performed by researchers at the USDA National Soil Tilth Laboratory and Iowa State University Department of Microbiology.
- Current Research Information System (CRIS) - CRIS is the USDA documentation and reporting system for ongoing and recently completed research projects. CRIS contains over 30,000 descriptions of current, publicly-supported research projects.
- Farm*A*Syst - National program cooperatively supported by the USDA Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service (CSREES), USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), and US EPA. The site provides information and assistance on nutrient management and livestock waste storage issues.
- Georgia: University of Georgia, Animal Waste Awareness in Agriculture and Extension (AWARE), CNMP Tools - The AWARE CNMP web site provides links to tools developed by University of Georgia, other universities, USDA NRCS, Ag Canada, and private businesses.
- National Agricultural Library (NAL) AGRICOLA - AGRICOLA is a bibliographic database of citations to the agricultural literature created by the NAL and its cooperators. The records describe publications and resources encompassing all aspects of agriculture and allied disciplines. AGRICOLA does not contain the materials, but thousands of AGRICOLA records are linked to online full-text documents.
- National Association of State Departments of Agriculture (NASDA) Research Foundation's Federal Environmental Laws Affecting State Agriculture [PDF] - Guide to federal environmental laws and regulations affecting state agricultural production.
- US EPA Guidance Manual and Sample NPDES Permit for CAFOs [PDF] - Provides information to federal and state NPDES permit writers on permitting requirements for CAFOs under the current federal regulations. This guidance replaces the Guide Manual on NPDES Regulations for CAFOs issued in 1995 and reflects changes that have taken place in the livestock industry. The guidance states that the permitting requirements for CAFOs are consistent with the 1998 Clean Water Action Plan (CWAP) and the 1999 Final USDA-EPA Unified National Strategy for AFOs.
- US EPA National Agriculture Compliance Assistance Center (Ag Center) - The Ag Center is the "first stop" for information about environmental requirements that affect the agricultural community. The Ag Center was created by US EPA with support of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- US Food and Drug Administration, Antimicrobial Resistance - Contains links to antimicrobial resistance information in food producing animals.
- US House Committee on Agriculture Homepage - Contains information, publications, and other resources regarding national agricultural issues.
- USDA Agricultural Research Service (ARS) - Currently, there are more than 1200 research projects carried out by ARS.
- USDA Agricultural Research Service (ARS), National Agricultural Library (NAL) Water Quality Information Center - Searchable online database that holds nearly 990 documents related to water resources and agriculture.
- USDA Agricultural Research Service (ARS), National Programs - ARS is organized into 22 national programs. Several programs are directly related to the management of AFOs.
- USDA Animal Waste Management (AWM) Software - Software is a planning tool for estimating the production of waste materials within an animal feeding operation and determining the size of storage/treatment facilities. The process and calculations used in AWM are based on the USDA-NRCS Agricultural Waste Management Field Handbook.
- USDA Center for Animal Health Monitoring (CAHM) - Provides data on animal health from national studies and industry sources.
- USDA Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service (CSREES) - A research service oriented organization dedicated to international research, extension and higher education in the food and agricultural sciences. The CSREES homepage has information on CSREES programs (see environment/natural resources or water quality programs for information about animal waste management), state partners (land-grant universities), funding opportunities, and news and information.
- USDA Financial and Technical Assistance to CAFOs - Links to assistance programs, tools, and documents.
- USDA NRCS Nutrient Management Homepage - From the homepage, users have access to on-line nutrient management tools, documents and technical references, databases, and links to other nutrient management tools.
- USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS), State Links
- USDA National Agriculture Statistics Service (NASS) - Provides both historical and current agriculture data on a national, state, and local basis.
- USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) Information for Farmers, Ranchers, and Other Agricultural Producers - Provides assistance to farmers and ranchers through conservation programs and technical information to help them protect the natural resources on their land. The Information for Farmers, Ranchers, and Other Agricultural Producers page has links to information on AFOs, animal waste management, comprehensive nutrient management planning, conservation practices, nutrient management planning and tools, and soil assessment, use and management.
- USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), AFO page - Intended to help AFO owners and operators to achieve their production and natural resource conservation goals through development and implementation of comprehensive nutrient management plans (CNMPs).
- USDA, Agricultural Air Quality Task Force (AAQTF) - The Confined Livestock Air Quality Subcommittee of USDA's AAQTF examined the current state of knowledge on potential air quality impacts from CAFOs and outlined research and technology transfer needs.
- USDA, Agricultural Research Service, Water Quality Information Center, Pfiesteria Publications and Links
- USDA, Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) - Provides information and technical resources for agricultural producers.
- USDA, Rural Information Center, Federal Funding Sources
- USDA, Small Farm Financial Assistance
- USGS General Information on AFOs - Contains general information, proceedings, meeting announcements, links, a bibliography, and field and lab studies related to the effects of AFOs on hydrologic resources and the environment.
Find Another Virtual Center Link
- EPA Programs - Provides links to specific EPA programs and initiatives related to Animal Feeding Operations.
- Other Federal Programs - Links to programs at USDA, Department of Energy, and other federal agencies.
- State Regulations - Links to state AFO/CAFO regulations and requirements.
- State Web Sites, Permits, and Other Publications - Links to state AFO/CAFO web sites, state agricultural web sites, example general and individual CAFO permits, fact sheets, inspection forms, guidance, and compliance assistance publications
- Nutrient Management - Information and tools to help develop nutrient management plans, including state technical standards.
- Livestock and Trade Associations - Links to trade associations involved with the livestock industry.
- Best Management Practices and Controls - Links to web site and documents highlighting best management practices related to controlling discharges from AFOs/CAFOs.
- Cooperative Extension and Land Grant Universities - Links to land grant universities, extensions, and other universities conducting agricultural research and providing assistance to the agricultural community.
- Research - Links to research projects and papers developed by universities and other institutions.
- Funding - Funding options for AFOs/CAFOs, including federal funding programs.
- Environmental Issues - Links to information about water quality, air quality, public health, and energy issues associated with AFOs/CAFOs.
View all AFO Virtual Center Links
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. Files are best viewed in Internet Explorer and Adobe 8.0 or higher. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.