AFO Virtual Information Center
- American Society of Agronomy (ASA), Certified Crop Advisor Program - Information on ASA's certification program for advisors and consultants who advise growers on agronomic practices.
- Arizona: University of Arizona, Animal Waste Management - Contains links to permits and regulations, nutrient management, tools and training, and alternative management strategies.
- Auburn University, College of Agriculture, Alabama Certified Crop Advisor Program - List of people from various organizations (including USDA) that producers may contact for assistance with nutrient management plans.
- Colorado State University, Colorado Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan Workbook - The workbook takes livestock and poultry producers through the process of developing a Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan, step-by-step.
- Comprehensive Nutrient Management Planning (CNMP) NRCS Policy and Technical Guidance Documents - Provides links to the CNMP National Planning Procedures Handbook, the NRCS CNMP Policy which includes the background, definition, objective, general criteria and element criteria for CNMP development, the spanish translation of the Technical Guidance, the CNMP Fact Sheet, CNMP training ppportunities, and assistance available from technical service providers.
- Delaware: University of Delaware Cooperative Extension, Nutrient Management Page - Contains information on a nutrient management certification, animal waste and poultry litter quantity estimation spreadsheets, and contact information on nutrient management consultation.
- Farm*A*Syst - National program cooperatively supported by the USDA Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service (CSREES), USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), and US EPA. The site provides information and assistance on nutrient management and livestock waste storage issues.
- Georgia: University of Georgia, Animal Waste Awareness in Agriculture and Extension (AWARE), CNMP Tools - The AWARE CNMP web site provides links to tools developed by University of Georgia, other universities, USDA NRCS, Ag Canada, and private businesses.
- Georgia: University of Georgia, Animal Waste Awareness in Research & Extension (AWARE) - The Animal Waste Awareness in Research & Extension (AWARE) web page can be used to access information on research, policy and regulations, newsletters and more. AWARE provides CNMP information and tools, as well as links to training and certification information.
- Idaho Association of Soil Conservation Districts, Idaho One Plan Animal Feeding Operations - Comprehensive farm planning site with links to Frequently Asked Questions, permits, tools, nutrient management and BMP information, and the Idaho Dairy Initiative.
- Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP), Nutrient Management Yardstick - A tool for promoting on-farm efficiency and environmental protection.
- Iowa Manure Management Action Group (IMMAG), Manure Applicator Certification Plan - IMMAG is part of the Iowa State Extension program. IMMAG presents information on for commercial manure applicators and confinement site applicators, on commercial applicator certification and confinement site certification.
- Iowa Manure Management Action Group (IMMAG), Manure Plans and Permits - IMMAG is part of the Iowa State Extension program. The IMMAG web page is designed to provide a comprehensive site for accessing information relating to manure management plans and permits in Iowa for CAFOs and open feedlots.
- Maryland Department of Agriculture, Maryland Office of Resource Management - Contains links to information on the state's nutrient management law, financial assistance available for conservation, and other resource conservation links.
- Maryland: University of Maryland Cooperative Extension, Nutrient Management Program - Provides nutrient planning services to Maryland farmers.
- Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources, Agricultural Environmental Enhancement Program - Provides links to information on water quality protection funding available to farmers. A manure management fact sheet in PDF is available.
- Massachusetts: University of Massachusetts Cooperative Extension Crops, Dairy, and Livestock Program. - Has links to research and publications relevant to AFOs, as well as information on nutrient management.
- National Pork Board (NPB) - Information on environmental issues impacting pork producers and others involved in pork production. The site provides agency contacts, manure information for use in sizing storage structures, odor control, and more.
- New York State Soil and Water Conservation Committee - Develops and oversees an agricultural nonpoint source water quality program that is implemented primarily through county Soil and Water Conservation Districts. This web page contains links to regulations and information on certified nutrient management plans.
- North Carolina State University Cooperative Extension Service, Poultry Science Technical Information - Provides papers on litter/manure management.
- North Carolina State University Cooperative Extension, Swine Husbandry Nutrient Management Information - Provides technical information, commonly in the form of an online newsletter, Swine News, on nutrient management.
- NutMan Nutrient Management Software - Software developed by Virginia Tech and Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation (VDCR) that follows the planning guidelines described in Virginia Nutrient Management Standards and Criteria.
- Nutrient Management in Maryland - Maryland Department of Agriculture, Office of Resource Conservation provides a web site with links to Maryland's nutrient management laws and regulations as well as news and educational information for the regulated community.
- Ohio State University Cooperative Extension, Best Management Practices - Links to documents with information on agricultural best management practices.
- Oklahoma State University, Manure and Animal Waste Management Program - Has information on manure and soil sampling, application rates, BMPs, and training.
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, Nutrient Management and Pennsylvania Chesapeake Bay Program - Provides information on nutrient management efforts and other programs that impact CAFOs in Pennsylvania.
- Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania State University Cooperative Extension and Outreach Agriculture page - Includes information on beef, dairy, horses, swine, and poultry operations, as well as nutrient management, soils testing, composting and natural rendering, and pond management.
- Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania State University, College of Agricultural Sciences, Nutrient Management page - Contains information about nutrient management in Pennsylvania and links to other sources of nutrient management assistance.
- USDA Animal Waste Management (AWM) Software - Software is a planning tool for estimating the production of waste materials within an animal feeding operation and determining the size of storage/treatment facilities. The process and calculations used in AWM are based on the USDA-NRCS Agricultural Waste Management Field Handbook.
- USDA NRCS Nutrient Management Homepage - From the homepage, users have access to on-line nutrient management tools, documents and technical references, databases, and links to other nutrient management tools.
- USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) Information for Farmers, Ranchers, and Other Agricultural Producers - Provides assistance to farmers and ranchers through conservation programs and technical information to help them protect the natural resources on their land. The Information for Farmers, Ranchers, and Other Agricultural Producers page has links to information on AFOs, animal waste management, comprehensive nutrient management planning, conservation practices, nutrient management planning and tools, and soil assessment, use and management.
- USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), AFO page - Intended to help AFO owners and operators to achieve their production and natural resource conservation goals through development and implementation of comprehensive nutrient management plans (CNMPs).
- University of Georgia, Animal Waste Awareness in Agriculture and Extension (AWARE), Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan (CNMP) - The University of Georgia AWARE CNMP web site provides online information about CNMPs and CNMP tools, a CNMP template available in HTML, Microsoft Word and PDF formats, tools for creating maps for CNMPs, and Georgia's P index.
- Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR), Nutrient Management Program - The Virginia DCR Soil and Water Conservation page has information about nutrient management including information on nutrient management training in the state.
- Virginia Nutrient Management Training and Exam Schedules - Explains how to become a certified nutrient management planner in Virginia. The site includes entrance qualifications, schedule for classes and exams, directions, and contact information.
- Washington Department of Ecology, Index of Environmental Laws - A listing of links to state laws, including dairy nutrient management regulations.
- West Virginia University, Center for Agricultural and Natural Resources Development - Provides information on the agriculture program and information on farm management, risk management, beef and dairy operations, poultry operations, and nutrient management.
Find Another Virtual Center Link
- EPA Programs - Provides links to specific EPA programs and initiatives related to Animal Feeding Operations.
- Other Federal Programs - Links to programs at USDA, Department of Energy, and other federal agencies.
- State Regulations - Links to state AFO/CAFO regulations and requirements.
- State Web Sites, Permits, and Other Publications - Links to state AFO/CAFO web sites, state agricultural web sites, example general and individual CAFO permits, fact sheets, inspection forms, guidance, and compliance assistance publications
- Nutrient Management - Information and tools to help develop nutrient management plans, including state technical standards.
- Livestock and Trade Associations - Links to trade associations involved with the livestock industry.
- Best Management Practices and Controls - Links to web site and documents highlighting best management practices related to controlling discharges from AFOs/CAFOs.
- Cooperative Extension and Land Grant Universities - Links to land grant universities, extensions, and other universities conducting agricultural research and providing assistance to the agricultural community.
- Research - Links to research projects and papers developed by universities and other institutions.
- Funding - Funding options for AFOs/CAFOs, including federal funding programs.
- Environmental Issues - Links to information about water quality, air quality, public health, and energy issues associated with AFOs/CAFOs.
View all AFO Virtual Center Links
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. Files are best viewed in Internet Explorer and Adobe 8.0 or higher. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.