AFO Virtual Information Center
Best Management Practices and Controls
- Georgia: Fort Valley State University, Cooperative Extension - The program emphasizes small/family farmers, part-time farmers, and home gardeners as primary clientele. Specific areas covered include: small/family farm enterprise identification and selection; management practices; farm structures; and soil and water conservation.
- Idaho Association of Soil Conservation Districts, Idaho One Plan Animal Feeding Operations - Comprehensive farm planning site with links to Frequently Asked Questions, permits, tools, nutrient management and BMP information, and the Idaho Dairy Initiative.
- Maine Agricultural Compliance Program - Assesses agricultural activities and performs inspections required for CAFOs in order to determine the efficiency of implemented BMPs. The program also works with farmers to develop site specific BMPs if necessary to correct the situation and takes enforcement action if needed.
- Minnesota: University of Minnesota Best Management Practices (BMPs) for Nitrogen Use Statewide in Minnesota - Provides a list of recommended BMPs for the application of nitrogen to cropland.
- Minnesota: University of Minnesota Cooperative Extension, Water Quality and Agriculture - Contains links to publications, publication abstracts, news releases, newsletters, "info-u scripts" and other materials. There are numerous links to web pages dealing with BMPs for manure and nutrient management.
- Minnesota: University of Minnesota, Manure Management Practices for the Minnesota Pork Industry - Provides a list of recommended BMPs for the application of nitrogen to cropland and suggested environmental management practices for handling manure and other farm waste.
- Missouri: University of Missouri Cooperative Extension, Beef Manure Management Systems in Missouri - Fact sheet on approved manure management practices in Missouri.
- National Pork Board (NPB) - Information on environmental issues impacting pork producers and others involved in pork production. The site provides agency contacts, manure information for use in sizing storage structures, odor control, and more.
- Ohio State University Cooperative Extension, Best Management Practices - Links to documents with information on agricultural best management practices.
- Oklahoma State University, Manure and Animal Waste Management Program - Has information on manure and soil sampling, application rates, BMPs, and training.
- US EPA Office of Wetlands, Oceans, and Watersheds, Nonpoint Agricultural BMPs
- US EPA Ruminant Livestock Efficiency Program - This joint EPA-USDA effort helps livestock managers voluntarily reduce emissions of methane and other greenhouse gases through the adoption of improved management practices.
- US EPA Ruminant Livestock Efficiency Program, Methane Measurement from Ruminants: The SF6 Technique - Presentation explaining how to measure methane from cows.
- USDA Agricultural Research Service (ARS), National Programs - ARS is organized into 22 national programs. Several programs are directly related to the management of AFOs.
- USDA Animal Waste Management (AWM) Software - Software is a planning tool for estimating the production of waste materials within an animal feeding operation and determining the size of storage/treatment facilities. The process and calculations used in AWM are based on the USDA-NRCS Agricultural Waste Management Field Handbook.
- USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) Information for Farmers, Ranchers, and Other Agricultural Producers - Provides assistance to farmers and ranchers through conservation programs and technical information to help them protect the natural resources on their land. The Information for Farmers, Ranchers, and Other Agricultural Producers page has links to information on AFOs, animal waste management, comprehensive nutrient management planning, conservation practices, nutrient management planning and tools, and soil assessment, use and management.
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, Construction Assistance Program, Low Interest Loans for Agricultural Best Management Practices - VA DEQ provides low interest loans for agricultural best management practices (BMPs), using Virginia's Revolving Loan Fund (VRFL).
Find Another Virtual Center Link
- EPA Programs - Provides links to specific EPA programs and initiatives related to Animal Feeding Operations.
- Other Federal Programs - Links to programs at USDA, Department of Energy, and other federal agencies.
- State Regulations - Links to state AFO/CAFO regulations and requirements.
- State Web Sites, Permits, and Other Publications - Links to state AFO/CAFO web sites, state agricultural web sites, example general and individual CAFO permits, fact sheets, inspection forms, guidance, and compliance assistance publications
- Nutrient Management - Information and tools to help develop nutrient management plans, including state technical standards.
- Livestock and Trade Associations - Links to trade associations involved with the livestock industry.
- Best Management Practices and Controls - Links to web site and documents highlighting best management practices related to controlling discharges from AFOs/CAFOs.
- Cooperative Extension and Land Grant Universities - Links to land grant universities, extensions, and other universities conducting agricultural research and providing assistance to the agricultural community.
- Research - Links to research projects and papers developed by universities and other institutions.
- Funding - Funding options for AFOs/CAFOs, including federal funding programs.
- Environmental Issues - Links to information about water quality, air quality, public health, and energy issues associated with AFOs/CAFOs.
View all AFO Virtual Center Links
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. Files are best viewed in Internet Explorer and Adobe 8.0 or higher. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.