Skip common site navigation and headers
United States Environmental Protection Agency
National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)
Begin Hierarchical Links EPA Home > OW Home > OWM Home > NPDES Home > NPDES Permit Program Basics > Interested Citizens End Hierarchical Links
Permitted Universe and Backlog Reduction
State Program Information
Statutes and Regulations
Tools for Permit Writers
Water Quality and Technology-Based Permitting
Integrated Municipal Plans
Emerging Topics
NPDES Permit Program Basics Home


NPDES Topics Alphabetical Index Glossary About NPDES

Interested Citizens

Citizen involvement is an important part of the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program. Citizen involvement occurs at the time of the initial State NPDES authorization process, through submission of public comments and participation at public hearings, and may occur during any substantial program revision. Citizens may also participate in the Federal rulemaking process where NPDES program requirements are established. Citizen participation helps to ensure the NPDES permit program is working effectively in every community.

A large body of information is available to help interested citizens understand how the NPDES permit program helps to achieve the Nation's clean water goals. If you are a citizen that wants more information on the NPDES permit program, Water Permitting 101 [PDF Format] is a brief overview and history of NPDES program.

If you have concerns about the NPDES program administration in your area, there are a number of steps you make take to voice your concerns. The following list recommends informal options:

  • Verify whether your State has been authorized to administer the NPDES program. Call or write your permitting authority to voice your concerns.
  • Report a possible violation.
  • If the State permitting authority does not satisfy your concern, identify the EPA Regional Office responsible for oversight of your state. You may call or write them to voice your concern.
  • If the EPA Region does not satisfy your concern, call or write to EPA Headquarters, Office of Wastewater Management, Water Permits Division in Washington, DC.
  • You may write a letter to the Administrator of the EPA.
  • You may State your concerns in a petition for withdrawal of the State program as provided under CWA Section 402 (c) and 40 CFR 123.62.
  • You may file a civil suit in a court of law.
National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Home

NPDES Permit Program Basics Information
Recent Additions




Training & Meetings



 Register to Receive NPDES News Alerts!  

You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. Files are best viewed in Internet Explorer and Adobe 8.0 or higher. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.


Office of Water | Office of Wastewater Management | Disclaimer | Search EPA

Begin Site Footer

EPA Home | Privacy and Security Notice | Contact Us

Last updated on August 01, 2012 4:01 PM