Air Quality Criteria for Particulate Matter (Fourth External Review Draft, Jun 2003)
Notice - This site contains archived material(s)
Archived files are provided for reference purposes only. The file was current when produced, but is no longer maintained and may now be outdated. Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing archived files may contact the NCEA Webmaster for assistance. Please use the contact us form if you need additional support.
The document is divided into two volumes: Volume I (Chapters 1 through 5, EPA/600/P-99/002aD) and Volume II (Chapters 6 through 9, EPA/600/P-99/002bD). After the brief general introduction in Chapter 1, Chapters 2 and 3 provide background information on physical and chemical properties of PM and related compounds; sources and emissions; atmospheric transport; transformation and fate of PM; methods for the collection and measurement of PM; and ambient air concentrations; Chapter 4 describes PM environmental effects on vegetation and ecosystems, impacts on man-made materials and visibility, and relationships to global climate change processes; and Chapter 5 contains factors affecting exposure of the general population. Chapters 6 through 8 evaluate information concerning the health effects of PM. Chapter 6 discusses dosimetry of inhaled particles in the respiratory tract; and Chapter 7 assesses information on the toxicology of specific types of PM constituents, including laboratory animal studies and controlled human exposure studies. Chapter 8 discusses epidemiologic studies. Chapter 9 integrates key information on exposure, dosimetry, and critical health risk issues derived from studies reviewed in the prior chapters. The Executive Summary is to be incorporated in Volume I.
This download(s) is distributed solely for the purpose of pre-dissemination peer review under applicable information quality guidelines. It has not been formally disseminated by EPA. It does not represent and should not be construed to represent any Agency determination or policy.
- Air Quality Criteria for Particulate Matter (Final Report, April 1996)
- Air Quality Criteria for Particulate Matter (First External Review Draft, Oct 1999)
- Air Quality Criteria for Particulate Matter (2001) (Second External Review Draft)
- Air Quality Criteria for Particulate Matter (Third External Review Draft, May 2002)
- Air Quality Criteria for Particulate Matter (Fourth External Review Draft) [revised Drafts of Chapters 7 and 8, December 2003]
- Air Quality Criteria for Particulate Matter (Fourth External Review Draft) [revised Chapters 7, 8, and 9, June 2004]
- Air Quality Criteria for Particulate Matter (Fourth External Review Draft) [revised Chapter 9, August 2004]